Met Gala 2015: China, Through the Looking Glass

Whether you like it or not, you have probably been exposed to some “interesting” pictures from last night’s Met Gala.  While it is an event notorious for crazy fashion displays, the real purpose of this $25,000 per ticket event (no joke) is to raise funds for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute.  Given the astronomically high price of tickets for this event, I can imagine the Institute is decently funded.

Vogue matron Anna Wintour chairs the event and is responsible for the guest list and annual theme.  This year’s theme was  China, Through the Looking Glass, and if you ask me, celebrities interpreted this to mean wear something as see through as a looking-glass.

Last night, there were a few key trends that stood out.  The first of course is the sheer look.  While designers like Ellie Saab, Zuhair Murad, and Valentino have managed to incorporate the trend in an elegant way, the sheer looks of last night screamed “look at me…I’m desperate for attention.”  Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé, Kim Kardashian, and Zoe Kravitz were a few of the celebrities sporting the naked look.  Personally, I hated them all.  These specific ladies have become so predictable in their styling.  Kim’s look was sadly more conservative perhaps than usual, and Jennifer and Beyonce constantly embrace showing off everything.  If you ask me, it was the ladies that covered up that appeared most beautiful.

Sheer Disappointment

Last night’s biggest trend was the sea of red on the red carpet. In the Chinese culture, red represents fire, good fortune, and wealth.  In fact, children are given money inside red packages as gifts, and brides wear red dresses at their weddings.  Given the significance of red in the Chinese culture, it made perfect sense to see red at every corner.  Jessica Hart’s Valentino gown was one of my favorites of the night, and Helen Mirren killed it last night in Dolce & Gabbana.

Red Renaissance

As the Met Gala signifies the opening of one of the most famous fashion exhibits in the world, it only makes sense to see more artsy pieces.  Rihanna was at the top of the list sporting a look by Chinese designer Guo Pei.  Zendaya, Lady Gaga, and Poppy Delvingne also sported gowns easily characterized as works of art.  While I may call them works of art, the one I actually liked was the Marchesa dress worn by Poppy.

Art Displays

*Google the memes inspired by Rihanna’s dress.  You won’t regret it (and you may get hungry). 🙂

My absolute favorite look from last night was Bee Shaffer’s Alexander McQueen gown.  I absolute loved both the cut of the dress as well as the actual incorporation of the theme into the train.  I also loved Gigi Hadid’s Diane von Furstenberg gown, and as previously referenced Jessica Hart’s Valentino masterpiece.  Kerri Russell’s daring Altuzarra gown was a force to be reckoned with, and the shade of green was just stunning on her skin.

Gala Winners

This post would be nothing without highlighting some of the cringe worth dresses.  Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry’s looks had absolutely nothing to do with the theme.  Sarah Jessica Parker’s H&M dress was hideous, and while I appreciate Solange’s attempt to be unique, I thought she looked ridiculous.  I also hated Cara Delevingne’s look.  It just seemed harsh, and she looked like she tried way too hard to be more casual and daring.

Umm…No

In my view, this event really is an excuse for celebrities to use fashion to gain attention.  Some of you may find this view to be on the pessimistic side, but I am rarely ever impressed with the fashions on display.

What are some of your favorite and least favorite looks?

Advertisements

29 thoughts on “Met Gala 2015: China, Through the Looking Glass

1. emilyrose2015 says:

I totally agree with you, I think that the ”wear as little as possible” look is getting boring. And I know some people say that it empowers women to wear what they want and be confident in their bodies but I actually think it can be like a self-esteem reporting circle. What I mean is, all these almost naked looks seem to propagate validation through the eyes of others, and some might end up feeling less attention when wearing more.

~ http://www.thedailyfashioninspiration.wordpress.com ~

Liked by 1 person

• admirablylegal says:

Very well said!! I could not agree more. I think a woman with strong self worth does not feel the need to show off her body for attention. I do respect those who are in to the look, but it is not something I would want for myself. It has been done way too many times. Time for a change!!

Liked by 1 person

• admirablylegal says:

Thank you so much for stopping by! I’m definitely over this over the top obsession with nudity. I don’t care what your body looks like, I just don’t like it. Honesty Marchesa rarely releases a miss, and the dress was stunning.

Liked by 1 person

2. Tiffany Fletcher says:

Bee Shaffer and Jessica Hart made my best dressed list as well! I also liked some of the riskier looks you weren’t fond of, because I think you should take risks in fashion–especially on fashion’s biggest night. (Not that I would be so risky in my OWN choices though lol)

Tiffany

3. sonamnaiducreative says:

There has been quite the controversy of what Hollywood big wigs wore to this years Met Gala and regardless of what people say I was all game for Beyonce. Despite the whole sheer naked like trend I just feel that if you have the body and confidence to fully flaunt what your momma gave you then be it. I thinks its truly inspiring and oh so motivating to see remarkable women like Beyonce and JLO being amazingly comfortable in their skin and being able to present in such a manner. Just my opinion.

Xo. http://www.sonamnaiducreative.com

Liked by 1 person

• admirablylegal says:

Thanks for sharing girlie! I have spoken with so many people since the Met Gala about this trend, and it is so interesting to see how both men and women feel. Beyonce and JLO are absolutely gorgeous…for me JLO’s face is just perfect. Because I find them to be so stunning, it would be nice to see them sport more elegant and simple looks, as those ladies more than anyone know how to rock a gown. Having said that, better them wearing the sheer look than me. I think people would get sick if they saw me in this trend haha. 😉

Liked by 1 person

4. showthebride says:

Gigi Hadid was definitely one of my favourites! Everything about Gigi is elegant and chic! She oozes class and integrity without even trying. Her mother did very well (love Yolanda). 💜
    And agreed- the obsession with being naked and claiming this is the new age feminism is getting old now.

http://www.showthebride.com with love 💜

Liked by 1 person

• admirablylegal says:

I love Yolanda too!! She is gorgeous, and her daughters are incredibly striking as well. I loved seeing a little class at the event especially given some of the over the top looks splashed across the red carpet.

5. American Seoul says:

I agreed with you completely. I’m so glad that I wasn’t the only one who was disappointed in what Bey was wearing at the MET gala. Such a beautiful, beautiful woman and she usually is on point with her looks…

Liked by 1 person