Are Leggings the New Pants?

When was the last time you wore a pair of pants?  Yesterday?  A week ago? Every day? Well if you’re me, the answer is years ago….literally.  The last time I wore pants was in college, and at 28 years young, that was some time ago.

When this subject comes up, I am always asked how this is possible, particularly during the winter months.  The answer: LEGGINGS!  If anyone is the queen of leggings, it is probably me, and I am proud of it.

Don’t believe me?

Contrary to most fashion advice, I have officially rejected the notion that leggings aren’t pants.  Many argue that leggings are for lazy people, or for those who don’t want to admit that they have gained a few pounds.  I humbly disagree.  When styled appropriately, leggings can be elegant, stylish, and fun.

There are so many benefits to finding a good pair of leggings.  They can last for ages and can serve as an easy way to enhance your outfit.  Another positive is the slimming look it can help provide if done properly.  This is a big “if”, as I absolutely am opposed to this look:

Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 8.32.46 AM

We have all seen this look, and if you’re like me, you are guilty of a major eye roll.  I don’t care how fabulous your butt looks, JUST SAY NO….and cover your butt!

So where can you snag a good pair?  Here’s a few of my favorite places.

No Nonsense

A wonderful rep from No Nonsense recently sent me a couple of pairs of leggings to try, and I am officially hooked.  Leggings can be incredibly pricey, but No Nonsense has loads of options under $20!  Another plus is the diversity in colors you can find here.

Hue

If you have ever browsed through the racks at Nordstrom or Macy’s, you have probably come across a pair of Hue leggings.  I have worn certain ponte leggings from the brand to formal meetins, and everyone thought they really were pants…even after I revealed their true identity!

Zara

I have leggings from Zara that I have been wearing since college.  They can really last, and they are super comfortable.  My recommendation is to wait until they go on sale, as they always do.  I love that if you shop online, you’ll find them in the trouser section (proving my pant that they are practically pants).

American Apparel

While I am not the biggest fan of American Apparel advertising, I LOVE the Ric Rac Leggings.  I have them in grey and black, and I am obsessed.

Have a favorite leggings brand?!?  Please share!!!

XOXO Mira

Let’s get connected friends!

Instagram:@admirablylegal

Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/admirablylegal

Twitter:@MiraHaykal

Advertisements

75 thoughts on “Are Leggings the New Pants?

1. stashmatters says:

I NEVER used to wear leggings as pants! But I bought tall boots and needed bottoms to wear with them. In fact, I’m wearing legging today with the boots. My leggings are from FCUK. 🙂 I’ll have to check out the other ones you’ve recommended!
    I still wear pants / regular jeans 95% of the time. 😛

Liked by 1 person

2. Bella Bee says:

I haaaate pants with a passion. The only thing keeping me from wearing dresses all the time are leggings!! I love Hue.. I’ve even bought leggings from Target, Sears, and Walmart and they all seem to last a good amount of time. Target makes some cute ones with “leather” like inlays. 😃

Liked by 1 person

• admirablylegal says:

AMEN!!! I’m so with you on this! When the weather is comfortable, I’m a dress person all the way. 🙂 I did buy a pair from Walmart recently that were surprisingly pretty good. And I’m obsessed with Target, so that’s definitely a win. 😉

Liked by 1 person

3. sonamnaiducreative says:

LEGGINGS as pants … absolutely NO. Such a pet peeve of mine when I can see the shape of a women’s private part or literally her ass. No thank you. I own leggings from Zara and American Apparel as well BUT I have fallen in LOVE with the leggings at BCBG Maxazria… of course on the pricier side but they hold their shape incredibly well, great thick quality and they are ridiculously comfortable. TRUST ME lady … you will not be disappointed.

PS: You are so fabulous in all of your pictures ❤

Xo. http://www.sonamnaiducreative.com

Liked by 2 people

• admirablylegal says:

OMG the worst thing in the world is when I see certain areas I should not be privy to. I honestly do not care how perfect your body may be, it’s a HELLLLLLLLLL NO! I have one pair of BCBG leggings that I absolutely love, but I could definitely use another pair. I agree that they are definitely on the pricier side, but they definitely fall way higher on the quality side. Plus I’m a pro at finding good sales. 😉

PS. You are so sweet…and the epitome of fabulous:)!

4. Nancy says:

Looks great! Dont listen to people that think they know a lot about fashion. Just wear what you want to wear. My girlfriend that I know for seven years now said a few months ago, when I wore pants, I have never seen you wear pants! Lol. Dresses are so much more fun!

Liked by 1 person

• admirablylegal says:

I’m completely with you Nancy. At the end of the day, I wear what I’m happy in even when it’s not in style.;) Dresses are so much fun! Plus it’s so much easier to get dressed in the morning!

5. Annawenn says:

Hi!
    Beautiful look but I hope that leggings aren’t new fashion pants. I love harem pants 😊.
    I live in a small village. In the mountains, 630 meters and winters are cold. So baggy jeans pants with Doc Martens shoes are more comfortable.
    I have a leggings to wear with tunics when I am in Paris.
    Love your blog ❤

Liked by 1 person

• admirablylegal says:

Hi there, lovely! Thanks for stopping by! It’s all about comfort, so given where you live, your look makes perfect sense! I would love to live in the mountains…so beautiful! Leggings with a tunic sounds perfect for a lovely day in Paris. I wish I could go!;)

Liked by 1 person

• admirablylegal says:

Jeggings definitely come in handy during those cold months. I’m glad to see that everyone agrees with butt cover rule. Too often I see this rule broken in Houston, and it is not a sight to see. 😉

6. pjacksone says:

This is one of the most awesome post EVER!!!! I literally just started buying leggings because my work place is business casual and there is a lady that wears leggings exclusively. She is a plus sized lady (more plus than me) and she always has a long top on with them. She wears the most amazing corduroy ones. So I said if she can do it daily so can I. Thank you for the stores to shop at. This cuts out a lot of leg work. #leggings4ever

Liked by 1 person

• admirablylegal says:

LOVEEEEEE that hashtag my dear!!! So this lady that wears them exlusively, are you talking about me haha?!?! I’m probably the only person that does this in my office, but with a relaxed environment, I manage to get away with it. Long top/tunic with leggings is actually really slimming and has kind of been my go to outfit recently. YOU absolutely can rock it!!

7. KatieComeBack says:

Leggings are fashion’s gift to bloating. LOL

Hue makes a really solid one. The trick is to get actual leggings – NOT footless tights. Make sure they’re 100% opaque. And please, no flesh-colored leggings. That’s just….wrong. haha

Liked by 1 person

8. adropofserendipity says:

Leggings are amazing! I swear by them. My friends all think I’m weird as I live in leggings but they’re the ones missing out! Great post by the way x

Liked by 1 person

9. weatherwardrobe says:

This post speaks volumes to me! I’m definitely a leggings girl, but I totally disagree with the uncovered-bum-leggings. I totally feel this post. And thanks for checking out WeatherWardrobe. Feel free to let me know if there’s a particular weather forecast you’d like me to post an outfit for!
    Esther xox

Liked by 1 person

10. MadModesty says:

omg same! I never wear trousers, just leggings and tights.
    I do believe they aren’t pants (meaning ladies need to cover their bits) but they’re so much more comfortable and versatile than jeans!
    I have over 100 pairs (leggings + tights) and I love loud prints on them :p